In the summer I make this soup with fresh local BC tomatoes. We are always told that fresh is best, however, Italian canned tomatoes are definitely the next best thing. They are picked and canned at their peak of ripeness which helps to enhance the flavour of this delicious soup. I prefer to use San Marzano canned tomatoes that are known as being the best Italian plum tomato.
- 2 cloves of garlic, peeled and finely chopped
- 1/3 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 small onion (or half a large onion), minced
- 2 cups chicken stock (housemade in our Cucina is great or Pacific Chicken Stock found in the meat department)
- Two 28 oz cans of Italian plum tomatoes, blended (like Gigi or Strianese)
- 1/2 cup of dry red wine
- Fresh basil (optional and to taste)
- Salt and pepper to taste
In a large pot, heat the olive oil and add the onion and garlic. Cook on medium heat for about 5 minutes. Add the remaining ingredients and simmer for about an hour. Serve piping hot with a dollop of pesto in the middle or drizzle some olive oil on top & sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.