- Approx. 6-8 anchovy fillets (jarred or in a tin), drained and chopped
- Sea salt
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 red onion chopped finely
- 4 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 3 cups tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon hot red pepper flakes
- 1 package of Penne pasta
- 1 or 2 tablespoons salt-packed capers, rinsed
- 1/3 cup pitted olives (of your choice, preferably nicoise or black or Gaeta), coarsely chopped
- 1/3 cup coarsely chopped fresh Italian parsley
Freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
Bring 6 quarts of water to a boil in a large pot and add 3 tablespoons kosher salt.
Combine the oil, onion, garlic, and anchovies in another large pot and cook over medium heat, stirring for about 5 minutes. Add the tomato sauce and red pepper flakes and cook, stirring, for about 3 minutes. Remove from the heat. Cook the penne until just al dente. Drain, saving about 3/4 cup of the pasta water. Add the pasta and the saved pasta water to the tomato sauce and stir and toss over medium heat until the pasta is well coated. Stir in the capers, olives, and parsley and serve immediately, with grated Parmigiano on top. Serves 4-6.